Inquiry regarding the name of subprocess.Popen class

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Sep 2 17:35:20 EDT 2008

Gabriel Genellina wrote:

> Classes represent "things", and class names should be nouns.
> Functions represent "actions", and their names should be verbs. popen
> is a good name for a function; Popen is a bad name for a class.

People who don't like Popen should have made this argument when
subprocess was being designed (for 2.4) ;-).  Or at least a year ago or
even 6 month ago when API changes for 3.0 were considered.

Part of the reason for the name is that .Popen completely replaces the
popen2, popen3, and popen4 functions, and others (yes, functions, not
classes), now gone (3.0) and either replaces or supplement os.popen
itself.  I would not have liked subprocess.Subprocess.  Perhaps Proc
would have been okay.  PipedProcess is too long.  ....