Can anyone suggest a good crypto package?

Ricardo Aráoz ricaraoz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 13:14:01 EDT 2008

Fett wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2:23 pm, Mike Driscoll <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 4, 1:39 pm, Fett <FettMan... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I need a crypto package that works on windows with python 2.5. Can
>>> anyone suggest one for me?
>>> I have been searching for a couple days for a good cryptography
>>> package to use for public/private key encryption, at this point I
>>> would settle for symmetric even.
>>> Every encryption package I have found for python was either operating
>>> system specific (read *nix only):http://www.freenet.org.nz/ezPyCrypto/http://www.keyczar.org/
>>> There was one exception, this version was specifically built to run on
>>> any platform (yay), but the compiler for windows complained that I
>>> wasn't using python2.2 (though the package was said to only need 2.2
>>> or newer).
>>> Is there any crypto package that is actually written in python? I
>>> seriously don't care how slow it is.
>> How about M2Crypto:http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/MeTooCrypto#Downloads
>>
>> Mike
>
> Seems that this is intended more for webapps or something, I intend to
> use this for a client application. This means that I can't require
> outside dependencies, or I risk annoying the clients (if you have
> installed many open-source projects with dependencies that aren't
> handled by portage/apt-get, you know what I would be doing to them).
>
> I seriously can't believe that there isn't a single python native
> crypto package. Why do they all need to have outside dependencies?
> --

Hi, maybe I'm a little late but today scanning through "The daily
Python-URL" I came through something that might be pertinent.

The link is http://www.keyczar.org/
And here is the intro to the site :
"""
Keyczar is an open source cryptographic toolkit designed to make it
easier and safer for developers to use cryptography in their
applications. Keyczar supports authentication and encryption with both
symmetric and asymmetric keys. Some features of Keyczar include:

    * A simple API
    * Key rotation and versioning
    * Safe default algorithms, modes, and key lengths
    * Automated generation of initialization vectors and ciphertext
signatures
    * Java and Python implementations (C++ coming soon)
    * International support in Java (Python coming soon)

Keyczar was originally developed by members of the Google Security Team
and is released under an Apache 2.0 license.
"""

HTH