Python and Open Office

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Sep 17 15:59:28 EDT 2008

Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Terry Reedy schrieb:
>
>> One way to learn the meaning of some of the numerous attributes and
>> values is to create a file with the wanted features with OOo, save,
>> unzip, and examine the xml to see which tags are used for which features.
>
> The API docs are a bit hidden on the webpage. Here is the link:
> <http://opendocumentfellowship.com/files/api-for-odfpy_2.odt>

I wrote my comment *after* looking at the above, which I found easily
enough.  After 7 pages of (helpful) explanatory text, there follow 88
pages with hundreds of entries like this:

5.13.30 style.RubyProperties
Requires the following attributes: No attribute is required.
Allows the following attributes: rubyalign, rubyposition.
These elements contain style.RubyProperties: style.DefaultStyle,
style.Style.
The following elements occur in style.RubyProperties: No element is allowed.

which are translated to a more readable form from the Relax-NG schema
(formal specs) in the standard.  But I have no idea what a Ruby property
is in this context.  It would be much like reading the grammar entries
in the Python Reference without the explanatory text that follows.

> Additionally teh ODF sepcs may help:
> <http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.1/OS/OpenDocument-v1.1.pdf>

v1.0 is the adopted international (ISO/IEC) standard.
I did not notice whether odfpy supports the 1.1 extensitons, but since
it does appear that OOo now uses them, I will presume so.

This does help.  It has more explanatory material.
"5.4 Ruby
A ruby is additional text that is displayed above or below some base
text. The purpose of ruby is to annotate the base text or provide
information about its pronunciation.

tjr