What is not objects in Python?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Sep 30 08:39:36 EDT 2008

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:03:07 -0700, namekuseijin wrote:
>
>>> Why isn't len implemented as a str.len and list.len method instead of a
>>> len(list) function?
>> Because postfix notation sucks.  The natural way of spelling is
>> adjective+noun and verb+predicate.
>
> "Natural"?
>
> You mean phrases like "heir apparent" and "worst choice imaginable" are
> unnatural?

They are certainly far from normal usage, as my dog yellow would be
certain to agree.

> To say nothing of languages like Spanish, Albanian, Italian,
> Cornish, Vietnamese, Hebrew...

It's long been a convention in the Western programming world to pretend
no other language than English and no other codes than ASCII exist.

The fact that Python is beginning to come to terms with Unicode is a
tribute to certain developers' persistence.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119