Refcount problem in ceval.c

Berthold Höllmann berthold at despammed.com
Thu Sep 11 03:11:59 EDT 2008

Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> writes:

> Berthold Höllmann wrote:
>> Is there any "common" reason to for such a strange object on the command
>> stack, or is it more likely that any of my extension modules is causing
>> havoc?
>
> It's very likely that your extension has a reference counting bug. It
> looks like you are either missing a Py_INCREF or you have a Py_DECREF
> too much. Newly freed memory is filled with 0xDB (see
> Objects/obmalloc.c DEADBYTE).

I was suspecting this, that's why I build the debugging version of
Python. I hoped I would get the error message somewhere near the code
causing the error, but I seems i have to continue the search.

> Wild guess: Are you using PyModule_AddObject with a PyTypeObject w/o
> Py_INCREF()ing the type object first?

That would have been easy :-) I have only one occurrence of
PyModule_AddObject, and its PyTypeObject is Py_INCREF()ed

Thanks
Berthold
--
                            __   Address: