Documentation (was Re: atomic section in code)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Sep 5 13:26:39 EDT 2008

Michele Simionato wrote:

> The page you link here is WAYS better than the standard documentation
> of the threading module.
> Generally speaking, the effbot zone contains a lot of improvements
> over the standard docs which are lacking in various areas.
> I have always wondered why they are kept separated. Wouldn't be nice
> to have the standard
> docs integrated with the effbot docs? Are there plans in this sense
> and if not, why not?

There are tons of great supplementary material out there, on blogs,
personal documentation collections (such as effbot.org), cookbook sites,
etc.  I don't think all that material absolutely must be posted to
python.org, but Python users would definitely benefit from improved
cross-linking.

And this is, of course, something I've lobbied for many times, e.g.

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-May/322224.html
  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-December/355625.html
  http://effbot.org/zone/idea-seealso.htm

but I haven't yet figured out how to get something to happen [1].  All
ideas are welcome.

</F>

1) Well, I guess the new Sphinx tool might have gotten some inspiration
by my work in this domain:

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-January/059978.html

and Andrew Kuchling did some preliminary work for the old Latex work flow:

  http://svn.python.org/view/sandbox/trunk/seealso/