Launching a subprocess without waiting around for the result?

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Fri Sep 19 17:02:56 EDT 2008

Almar Klein wrote:

>     Ah, no, that's a different thing. If the parent exits, the child will
>     also be killed I believe.
>

> Not if it's stuck in some endless loop...
>
>     If you want to spawn a process and have it live on independent of the
>     parent, you want to make the child process a "daemon", detatching
>     itself from the parent's environment. I don't recall how that's done
>     immediately, but those are the terms to search for.
>

> I'm curious how this can be done, does anyone know this?

I just dove into this several day ago for a small project.

On Linux it's easy -- it involves a couple of forks and other system
calls.   Google for daemonize.py.
<http://github.com/lfittl/python-helpers/tree/master/daemonize.py>

On Windows, a bit of searching seems to find a consensus that the way to
do something similar is as a Window's service.  I'm just now looking
into how to register and start a service, and how to stop and remove it
later.  Google finds lots of information on this -- perhaps I'll post my
result when I've pulled it all together.

Gary Herron