How to print first(national) char from unicode string encoded in utf-8?

Marco Bizzarri marco.bizzarri at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 09:39:47 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM,  <sniipe at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I do ${urllib.unquote(c.user.firstName)} without encoding to
> latin-1 I got different chars than I will get: no Łukasz but Å ukasz
> --

That's crazy. "string".encode('latin1') gives you a latin1 encoded
string; latin1 is a single byte encoding, therefore taking the first
byte should be no problem.

Have you tried:

urlib.unquote(c.user.firstName)[0].encode('latin1') or

urlib.unquote(c.user.firstName)[0].encode('utf8')

I'm assuming here that the urlib.unquote(c.user.firstName) returns an
encodable string (which I'm absolutely not sure), but if it does, this
should take the first 'character'.

Regards
Marco
--