SMTP via GMAIL

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid
Fri Sep 19 10:40:21 EDT 2008

On 2008-09-19, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2008-09-18, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>>> In message
>>> <973f75d4-90f5-4930-9107-15fc8651196d at v16g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, sui

>>> Could it be your ISP is blocking outgoing connections to port
>>> 25?
>>
>> gmail doesn't accept mail via SMTP on port 25.
>>
> I was going to say that's boloney until I checked my settings - it's a
> year or more since I set gmail up with Thunderbird.
>
> smtp.gmail.com accepts TLS connections on port 587.

I should have been a bit more specific and said that the
relay/smarthosts at smtp.gmail.com don't accept SMTP mail via
port 25.

The normal incoming SMTP servers pointed to by gmail.com's MX
records do accept non-relay e-mail on port 25. They are,
however, picky about IP addresses from which they'll accept
connections (trying to connect via a commercial VPN server
fails, but connecting via other machines works).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! WHO sees a BEACH BUNNY
                                  at               sobbing on a SHAG RUG?!