Linq to Python

r0g aioe.org at technicalbloke.com
Wed Sep 24 22:15:04 EDT 2008

Duncan Booth wrote:
> r0g <aioe.org at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
>
>> OK so maybe I'm being naive here but it looks to me like this new
>> paradigm's big idea is to use a python + SQL type syntax to access data
>> in random objects. Big whoop. It's not that difficult to write a
>> generators that wraps XML files and databases is it?
>>
>> What am I missing here?
>
> Simple LINQ expressions like the one you gave map easily to Python list
> comprehensions. What Microsoft have done though is provide a consistent
> implementation which allows you to write complex SQL like expressions which
> will work identically on databases or most other sequence types.

Hmm, that's a nice idea in theory but I don't think it's the python
killer Mr/Ms bearophile thinks it is. I can't think of any use cases
where this would save me a great deal of time (certainly not enough to
offset the relative slowness of working in C#) but supposing they do
exist this stuff definitely belongs in a module. Seems to me C# is
playing catchup in most ways and this nugget of 'innovation' is just the
exception that proves the rule.

Roger.