Gateway to python-list is generating bounce messages.

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Fri Sep 12 20:03:05 EDT 2008

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2008-09-12, Matt Nordhoff <mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com> wrote:
>
>> I think you misunderstand. He's referring to the Sender
>> header, not the From header. The messages the listbot sends
>> out have a Sender header of
>> "python-list-bounces+user=example.com at python.org" (supposing
>> the subscriber's email address is user at example.com). Bounces
>> should be directed to the bitbucket or list admin or whatever,
>> not the user in the From header. kring.com just has a broken
>> mail server.
>
> So the statement below by Dennis Lee Bieber in message
> 97udndzTorVUPlXVnZ2dnUVZ_ojinZ2d at earthlink.com isn't actually
> correct?
>
>   >>Three: The bounce/ooo-reply is sent to the message author, not
>   >>to any intermediate host(s). After all, on that end, it's
>   >>normal email failure response -- notify the author of the
>   >>message. It doesn't matter that the original message was posted
>   >>on a Usenet newsgroup if that group is automatically relayed to
>   >>members of a mailing list.

I have no idea. My post was assuming that Sjoerd Mullender was correct.

With headers like "Return-Path", "Errors-To" and "Sender", ISTM the
mailing list software is doing everything it can to avoid bounces
getting sent to the user in the From header. If it's completely wrong,
then, well, it would be silly to have gone to the effort.