ANN: Python GUI development using XULRunner

Todd Whiteman toddw at activestate.com
Wed Sep 17 14:21:20 EDT 2008

Don Spaulding wrote:
> On Sep 16, 8:29 pm, Todd Whiteman <to... at activestate.com> wrote:
>> I've put together a tutorial that shows off how to build a GUI
>> application using XULRunner (same architectural components as Firefox
>> uses) that can be used in conjunction with the Python programming language.
>>
>> The tutorial covers how to build a Python/XULRunner GUI application:http://pyxpcomext.mozdev.org/no_wrap/tutorials/pyxulrunner/python_xul...
>
> I get to the "Running" step and run into "Couldn't load XPCOM."
>
> Does this work on x86_64?  Or have I made a rookie mistake?

Hi Don,

A good question. Mozilla only provide 32-bit XulRunner applications by
default, you you'll need to install the necessary 32-bit compatability
libraries on your Linux machine, i.e. for Ubuntu it's something like:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk

Then you should be able to run the example. You can check the
dependencies using something the following commands, there should be no
missing dependencies:
$ cd pyxpcom_gui_app/xulrunner
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ldd ./xulrunner-bin

It is possible to use a 64-bit version, but you'll need to compile this
yourself (or find somewhere that provides these x86_64 versions). Note
that the PythonExt project does not offer Python bindings for x86_64
either (it's on my todo list), you can compile the PythonExt part
yourself as well if you need a 64-bit version.

Cheers,
Todd