Not fully OO ?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sun Sep 28 14:47:11 EDT 2008

Tim Rowe a écrit :
> 2008/9/26 Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr>:
>
>> Not to start a troll, but from what I've seen of C# so far I do find this a
>> bit surprising and really suspect more of a library issue than a language
>> one. Care to tell more about the problem and solution ?
>>
>> (NB : I wouldn't even asked if you had mentionned say Erlang or Prolog or
>> OCaml - well, some mostly different language - instead of C#)
>
> IIRC it was library issues -- for one thing I still find it a lot
> harder to manage an MS Windows GUI under Python than I do under .NET
> (I've never succeeded in getting Iron Python to run properly). In one
> sense you could argue that that's not a language issue, and you'd be
> right: there's nothing in the syntax or semantics of either language
> that makes it so. But in another sense I'd say it is a language issue
> (and of course I think I'm right!)

And - after reading the following argument - I think you're wrong !-)

> because Python aims to be platform
> independent, and whilst that means gains in portability it means that
> in return it loses the ease-of-programming of a tightly integrated
> platform.

Still a library issue. Python doesn't defines "platform-independant" the
way Java does, and there are quite a couple Python packages (third-part
or even in the standard lib) that are clearly platform-specific -
including MS Windows COM stuff, which was a major PITA using VB6.