universal unicode font for reportlab

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Wed Sep 10 09:34:05 EDT 2008

Ross Ridge wrote:
> Terry Reedy  <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I posted the wrong name.
>> Ariel Unicode MS is the one that seems pretty complete.

>> From the MS, I would guess that is a Windows font too ;-).
>>

> It's made by Microsoft, but it's not a standard Windows font.  I think
> it comes with Microsoft Office.

I need to use HTML anyway. I realized that universal unicode fonts are
above 5MB in size. The report would be a 10KB PDF, but I need to embed
the font before I can send it to anyone. Since some reports needs to be
sent in emails, I need to use something else. I cannot be sending 10MB
emails for  "one page" reports.

I ended up implementing the reports in HTML. I'm assuming that the
user's browser is capable of displaying any characters needed. Now there
is another problem: how to print an HTML without page header/footer
information, from a browser? But that is another problem and probably
has nothing to do with Python.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Best,

   Laszlo