Installing pySerial

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Sep 18 12:01:13 EDT 2008

Joe G (Home) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Background
> ===================
> I have installed Python for windows today from the python web site  .I also
> installed pySerial using the Windows installer from the sourceforge web
> site..... Both installs use the default directories.
>
> Phyton  version    : Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC
> v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>
> pySerial   2.4   July 6th
>

> Problem :  Errors Screen output
> ============================
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
>     import serial
>   File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\serial\__init__.py", line 18, in
> <module>
>     from serialwin32 import *
>   File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py", line 9, in
> <module>
>     import win32file  # The base COM port and file IO functions.
> ImportError: No module named win32file

You need to install the pywin32 extensions from:

  http://pywin32.sf.net

They're so commonly used (and, if you install the ActiveState
distro of Python, even bundled) that I imagine many Windows
Pythoneers like myself simply install them automatically as
soon as we've installed the main python.org Python.

Once you've done that, the rest should just work: it's
clear from the traceback that the serial module is getting
imported; it's just trying to find the win32file module.

TJG