Source code for python nativ methods and classes

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Sep 29 18:52:40 EDT 2008

Bard Aase wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Mohed <mohed at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello.
>>  I am interrested in seeing the source code for all the nativ builtin
>> methods and clases in python. Is there a webpage that lists them or is
>> this done easier some other way.
>
> Check it out from svn?
> svn co http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/
>
> or browse the code at http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/

This has the code for the upcoming 2.6 release.  For other branches
http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/
in particular py3k or release25-maint.

Built-in classes are in the Objects sub-directory.
(But there is a bit of math in the Python sub-dir).
Built-in modules are in the Modules sub-directory.
Python-coded modules are in the Lib sub-directory.
I don't know where the built-in functions are.

To see the current state of a file, click on the revision number in the
second column.

Clicking on the name in the first column give a rather strange change
log that goes forward through each year as it goes back through the years.

Terry Jan Reedy