Unable to start a process with subprocess Popen()

aha aquil.abdullah at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 11:43:20 EDT 2008

On Sep 8, 7:23 am, dudeja.ra... at gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 11:50 AM,  <dudeja.ra... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm using the subprocess module's Popen() to start a batch file. This
> > batch file basically calls an exe which also gets started.
> > Unfortunately, this does not produce any results. I looked into the
> > Task bar that this exe has started but it does not consume and cpu so
> > I believet that this exe is not working.
>
> > I used the following command to start the batch fiile:
>
> > testing = subprocess.Popen([batchFilePath], \
> >                                   shell = True, \
> >                                   stdout = subprocess.PIPE, \
> >                                   stderr = subprocess.PIPE).communicate()[0]
>
> > batchFilePath is the path of the batch file.
>
> > --
> > Regrads,
> > Rajat
>
> Ok, I re-phrase my question:
>
> there is a batch file that executes a exe file. The batch just works
> if run from command prompt and produces output to standard output and
> the file.
>
> Now, I try to call the same batch file from subprocess.Pope() call.
> The batch file gets called and that internally also calls the exe
> file.
>
> But, the exe just runs forever i.e. hangs and does not produces output
> , atleast not to the file.
>
> Please suggest is there is something wrong with the above code.
>
> Regards,
> Rajat

Hello Rajat,
  I would take a look at the thread below, it might help it might not:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/4505613f014fdec7/3ee15c9c88a5efdc?hl=en#3ee15c9c88a5efdc

Also, if you post a larger section of the code I might be able to give
you a hand. Once you've run the testing = subprocess.Popen()

make sure you use a testing.wait()