check if the values are prensent in a list of values

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Tue Sep 9 15:00:41 EDT 2008

Emile van Sebille wrote:
> flit wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I will appreciate the help from the more skillfull pythonistas..
>>
>> I have a small app that generates a sequence like
>>
>> 00341
>> 01741
>> 03254
>
> Consider using a dict with sorted tuple keys, eg
>
> d = {}
>
> for seq in ['00341','01741','03254']:
>     ky = list(seq)
>     ky.sort()
>     d[tuple(ky)] = None
>

> then d.keys() are the unique combinations.
>
> HTH,
>
> Emile

I'm not judging whether this is a good solution or not, but that's a
silly use of a dict. A set would be better.

s = set()
for seq in ['00341','01741','03254']:
    s.add(tuple(sorted(ky)))

Then you just, well, access the set directly, instead of using d.keys()
or something.

(I also replaced the sorting with the sorted() function for brevity.
This all assumes you have at least Python 2.4...)