matrix algebra

Tim Leslie tim.leslie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 05:32:44 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Al Kabaila <akabaila at pcug.org.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My OS is Linux (openSUSE 10.3) and my interest in retirement is Python
> applications to Structural Analysis of  Civil Engineering structures,
> currently in 2 dimensions only (under GPL). Modern Structural Analysis is
> highly matrix oriented, but requires only a few basic matrix operations,
> namely matrix creation, transposition, multiplication, invertion and
> linear equation solution. For stability analysis one would require
> Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors. In 3 dimensions, additionally highly
> desirable would be vector algebra. The packages do have all these
> functions, but currently only the basic functions are in the wrapper.
>
> There are several packages for matrix algebra. I tried Numeric, numpy and
> numarray. All three are very good, but each uses different syntax. Not a
> good thing for teaching...  So I wrote a little python wrapper (under GPL)
> to unify all packages with the same simple and transparent syntax.

There is no need for a wrapper. Both numarray and Numeric have been
deprecated in favour of numpy, so numpy is the only one you need to
use. Numpy should have all the tools you need. If you find something
missing, there's a good chance it's included in scipy (which  is built
on top of numpy). For full details see www.scipy.org.

Cheers,

Tim