The difference between __XX__ and XX method

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Mon Sep 8 18:03:05 EDT 2008

AON LAZIO wrote:
> Hi, Pythoners.
>       I would like to know that in some class, it uses __XX__ but in some it
> uses only XX
> for example,
>
> class Test:
>     def __som__(self):
>     def som(self):
>    What does "__XX__" make the method different from XX?
>    Thanks in advance

The form __method__ is reserved for internal methods also known as magic
methods. In general you must not name your own methods or attributes
__XX__ because the core of Python reserves all rights on the __*__
naming schema.

Some well know magic methods are __init__, __getattr__, __add__ etc. You
can find a complete lists in the Python language reference.

Christian