Python newbie

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Sep 19 04:42:54 EDT 2008

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> No. Python implicitly dereferences all names when using them to compute
>> values, and only uses them as references on the left-hand side of an
>> assignment.
>>
>> Please note the above statement is contentious, and will likely bring a
>> horde of screaming fanatics of various flavors down on my head for
>> terminological inexactitude.
>
> Actually, I am not a "screaming fanatic". I just want to learn.

I'm sure Steve can speak for himself, but just to clarify:
the "screaming fanatics" referred to are those within the
Python community whose opinions of the terminology used are
at variance with Steve's. I think it was a comment which would
mean more to those of us who've seen such terminology-battles
come and go over the years.

But thanks for introducing yourself anyway. Knowing more about
where a poster is coming from never hurts when trying to answer
their questions. :)

TJG