Coming from .NET and VB and C

Eric Wertman ewertman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 13:04:10 EDT 2008

>  Using Python.  I found "Dive Into Python" which I will be reading shortly

The title of the book is good advice all by itself.  Especially with
prior programming experience, you'll get started very quickly.  What
will take longer is the assimilation of some of python's neater and
more idiomatic features, like list comprehensions and generators.
Also, the fact that strings are immutable threw me off a little the
first day or two.

If you stick with it, I think you'll find those little things to be
your favorite parts though.  Certainly I use list comprehensions all
the time now, when I used to not use them at all.

In about 90% or more of cases, you can avoid doing things that you do
routinely in other languages..  mostly by iterating directly over
things you don't need counter variables or intermediate variable
names.  In fact, I find myself going back through old code and
removing variables pretty frequently.

I'm sure there's a lot more.  Personally I find it a lot of fun to code in.