Are spams on comp.lang.python a major nuisance?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Sep 26 16:59:09 EDT 2008

nntpman68 wrote:

> I guess you just filter mailing lists and can do nothing about the
> newsgroup if I'm fetching via the nntp server of my ISP itself, right?

I am reading via gmane.comp.python.general, so I will benefit from
filtering spam posted to c.l.p.  Anyone with a news reader can do the
same.  Just make a news.gmane.org account with standard port setting.
Works fine with OE and now Tbird.  I believe posts to gmane are sent to
the mailing list first, before appearing even on gmane.

> - I'm annoyed by any spam.

Ditto.  I would say 'nuisance' rather than 'major nuisance'.
Improvements are appreciated here.

> It's tough to find good rules, but the incoming spams that I see
> currently on comp.lang.python have certain criteas.
>
> - most email addresses from gmail.
> - all never posted before and then they have multiple posts within a few
> minutes  / seconds
> - the posts always contain one or more urls ( mostly cryptic names )
> - they always start a thread but never reply to one
> - the post doesn't contain python code or anything which looks only
> vaguely like source code
> - never mentions the word python
> - the amount of sexual or financial vocabulary exceeds classical python
> posts

Pretty good list.