Numeric literal syntax

Sun Sep 7 00:04:29 EDT 2008

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 23:30:03 +0000, Alan G Isaac wrote:

>> bearophileHUGS at lycos.com writes:
>>
>>> For Python 2.7/3.1 I'd now like to write a PEP regarding the
>>> underscores into the number literals, like: 0b_0101_1111, 268_435_456
>>> etc.
>>
>> +1 on such a capability.
>>
>> -1 on underscore as the separator.
>

> On 9/1/2008 9:13 PM Ben Finney apparently wrote:
>> When you proposed this last year, the counter-proposal was made
>> <URL:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/
msg/18123d100bba63b8?dmode=source>
>> to instead use white space for the separator, exactly as one can now do
>> with string literals.
>
> Yuck.
> Repeating a mistake means two mistakes.

A lot of us don't think that white space between string literals was a
mistake. A lot of us consider it a desirable feature.

> But I would hate less the use of nobreak spaces, since any decent editor
> can reveal them.

How do you type a nobreak space?

It's also probably a bad idea for Python the language to depend on
developers using "a decent editor", since many people disagree on what a
decent editor is, and many other people don't have access to whatever you
consider "a decent editor".

--
Steven