Build Python, Numpy and Scipy source with Visual Studio 6.0 for windows

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Sep 16 06:02:02 EDT 2008

En Tue, 16 Sep 2008 06:25:27 -0300, <Richard_Martineau at xyratex.com>
escribió:

> I wonder if anyone can advise me or has done similar to the following?
>
> Basically I've downloaded the Python 2.5.2 source code that builds
> with Visual Studio 6.0. I've built Python for windows. This was easy
> (it even came with the pcbuild.dsw workspace file). Great!
>
> Now comes the troubled bit...I now look for similar source code for
> Python extensions Numpy and Scipy but the source code and directories
> are not all obvious. Looks like these are normally built via other
> compilers. However I need to do all my builds in VS 6.0.
>
> For Numpy (I haven't got as far as Scipy yet) I've organised the
> source code into the following projects and lumped them all into my
> new workspace numpy.dsw:

Don't try to roll your own projects, compile it using distutils instead.
Distutils takes care of defining the right symbols and compiler options,
and should detect VS.
I'm pretty sure the Numpy README file (or similar) describes how to build
it; usually you install the required dependencies and then run:
python setup.py build

--
Gabriel Genellina