Python OOP advice

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Wed Sep 17 10:08:57 EDT 2008

Ben Finney a écrit :
> Simon Hibbs <simon.hibbs at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Orriginaly I thought I'd need to have a hull object which contains
>> component objects, but the component objects need access to members
>> of the hull object (e.g. the hull size) so that looks messy to
>> implement.
>
> Was it as messy as this::
>
>     class ShipHull(object):
>         def __init__(self, size):
>             self.components = dict()
>             self.size = size
>
>     class ShipComponent(object):
>         def __init__(self, name, hull):
>             self.name = name
>             self.hull = hull
>
>> I have defined a base class Component with a class member variable
>> 'hull_size' so that all components can see the hull size.
>
> It seems to me the hull is an attribute of the component, and the size
> is an attribute of the hull. Why would the hull size be a *class*
> attribute?
>
>> I've then got two child classes called Fixed_Component and Percent
>> _Component that implement their mass, mass_percent and cost
>> properties appropriately for their type.
>
>     class FixedShipComponent(ShipComponent):
>         def _get_mass(self):
>             return calculation_foo(self.hull.size)
>         mass = property(_get_mass)
>
>         def _get_cost(self):
>             return calculation_bar(self.hull.size)
>         cost = property(_get_cost)
>
>     class PercentShipComponent(ShipComponent):
>         def _get_mass(self):
>             return calculation_spam(self.hull.size)
>         mass = property(_get_mass)
>
>         def _get_cost(self):
>             return calculation_eggs(self.hull.size)
>         cost = property(_get_cost)

Or use the strategy pattern (dummy example, don't have time to read your
specs !-):

class FixedMassCostStrategy(object):
     def get_mass(self, hull):
         return calculation_foo(hull.size)
     def get_cost(self):
         return calculation_bar(hull.size)

class PercentMassCostStrategy(object):
     def get_mass(self, hull):
         return calculation_spam(hull.size)
     def get_cost(self):
         return calculation_eggs(hull.size)

class ShipComponent(object):
     def __init__(self, name, hull, masscost_strategy):
         self.name = name
         self._hull = hull # implementation detail
	self._strategy = masscost_strategy

     mass = property(lambda self: self._strategy.get_mass(self._hull))
     cost = property(lambda self: self._strategy.get_cost(self._hull))