ANN: Python GUI development using XULRunner

Todd Whiteman toddw at activestate.com
Wed Sep 17 18:53:29 EDT 2008

support at mysfdomain.com wrote:
> On Sep 17, 1:21 pm, Todd Whiteman <to... at activestate.com> wrote:
>> Don Spaulding wrote:
>>> I get to the "Running" step and run into "Couldn't load XPCOM."
>>> Does this work on x86_64?  Or have I made a rookie mistake?
>> Hi Don,
>>
>> A good question. Mozilla only provide 32-bit XulRunner applications by
>> default, you you'll need to install the necessary 32-bit compatability
>> libraries on your Linux machine, i.e. for Ubuntu it's something like:
>> sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk
>>
>> Then you should be able to run the example. You can check the
>> dependencies using something the following commands, there should be no
>> missing dependencies:
>> $ cd pyxpcom_gui_app/xulrunner
>> $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ldd ./xulrunner-bin
>>
>> It is possible to use a 64-bit version, but you'll need to compile this
>> yourself (or find somewhere that provides these x86_64 versions). Note
>> that the PythonExt project does not offer Python bindings for x86_64
>> either (it's on my todo list), you can compile the PythonExt part
>> yourself as well if you need a 64-bit version.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Todd
>
> Interesting, I'm running Ubuntu Intrepid here, and have both ia32-libs
> and ia32-libs-gtk installed.
>
> ldd shows that I'm missing the following libs, even though the proper
> packages are installed, and the files show up in /usr/lib.
>
> 	libxcb-render-util.so.0 => not found
> 	libxcb-render.so.0 => not found
>
> There's also /usr/lib/libxcb-render.so.0.0.0 and the same for render-
> util, so I wonder if that could be part of the problem?
>

> Don

Hi Don,

I'm thinking there may be additional 32-bit packages necessary then (I'm
not sure which package).

Not sure about Ubuntu 8.10 (it's still alpha). I'm using a Ubuntu 8.04
x86_64 machine and my dependencies list the following for the latest
32-bit build of XulRunner:

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ldd ./xulrunner-bin | grep libxcb
	libxcb-xlib.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libxcb-xlib.so.0 (0xf6493000)
	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libxcb.so.1 (0xf647b000)

Cheers,
Todd