huge socket recv speed discrepancy between different OSs

Dan Stromberg dstromberglists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 14:56:43 EDT 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:17:58 +0200, Thorben Krueger wrote:

> Do you see this too?
>
> Mor information and testcase here:
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue3766
>
> I would also be interested in the profiler output under windows.
>
> All the best
> Thorben

I regret that I don't have a lot of time to look into this interesting
issue.

Perl may be buffering the socket I/O.  That might be a question for
comp.lang.perl.

Usually, when you can reduce the number of function/method calls and
system calls done in your innermost loop(s), especially on a high speed
network, you've done a good thing - because otherwise CPU use becomes the
dominant term in the performance equation.

You might want to try my bufsock module to see if that'll help:

http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/~strombrg/bufsock.html

It'll give you buffered sockets, along with a flush method.

You probably also might want to try psyco when on an x86 system.
Unfortunately, it looks like psyco isn't available for x86-64.

Anyone know if pypy is ready to try such a program as Thorben's?