A unique instance of Python GUI program

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue Sep 16 04:58:14 EDT 2008

akineko wrote:
> This may not be a Python specific challenge.
> I have a GUI program written in Python + Tkinter.
> It works very well.
>
> Now, I would like to start it from a shell script.
> As my GUI program includes a server, it should not have more than one
> instance.
> Is there any easy way to check if another instance of the program is
> already running.
>
> I vaguely remember that Windows programming provides a way to check.
>
> A platform independent approach would be nice but a solution for X is
> sufficient for my application.

I swear this question's been asked twice this month already.
Is there a convention going on of one-instance-only application writers?

Have a look at:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2008-August/505958.html

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2008-August/505992.html

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2008-August/505850.html

or just search the mailing lists for various previous
discussions:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amail.python.org+application+single+instance

(or similar queries)

TJG