PyGUI as a standard GUI API for Python?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Sep 4 09:59:36 EDT 2008

On 2008-09-04 12:57, Banibrata Dutta wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 3:45 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

>>> Python is still server-side in this scenario and plays no role in UI
>>> definitions.
>> That depends on how you design the application. It is well possible
>> to have Python drive the GUI by sending the required details to
>> the Flex front-end via XML (ie. data-driven GUIs).
>>
>>> So one doesn't get more than e.g. Django apps that
>>> respond to HTTP requests triggered by JavaScript forms except that
>>> JavaScript+HTML+Browser is replaced by Flex = AS3+MXML+FlashPlayer.
>> You really can't compare the Flex stack to an AJAX stack. Flex
>> has a lot more to offer for GUI programming than AJAX, it also
>> doesn't suffer from the problems of AJAX having to support several
>> different sets of browser or library bugs.
>>
>> We switched from an AJAX approach to a Flex-based approach last year
>> and never even considered moving back again.
>

> The approach does seem quite impressive, but isn't Flex's platform
> neutrality quite over-rated ? I mean after-all, it assumes that Flex is
> available for and available on the platform. Flex today is not yet so
> ubiquitous as the JRE...

Since Flex is compiled to Flash and runs inside the Flash player, it
is fairly easy to get Flex apps running. You do have to have the
Flash9 player installed and the default minimum is 9.0.115.0 for
Flex builder 3.

> Are there some established best-practices on how to package such
> applications -- s.a. shipping with its's own Flex runtime, offer-download if
> missing etc. ? What happens if owner of target machine decides to upgrade
> their version of Flex, will it impact the application package in anyway, and
> render rest of it "non-upgradable" ?

So far we have not had any such problems, but that could change when
Flash10 starts to ship, of course.

We currently ship the application as a server application. The only
requirement on the client side is having a browser with Flash9
installed. Pointing the browser at the server will then load the
compiled Flex application (as .swf file).

An alternative approach is bundling the client as AIR application
which then runs as stand-alone app on the client side, but we
haven't tried that yet.