lacking follow-through

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Sep 8 16:38:31 EDT 2008

Chris Rebert wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Eric Wertman <ewertman at gmail.com> wrote:

>> To expand on this a little bit,  I've been subscribed to this group
>> for a couple of months, but there seems to be a bit more gray area
>> between what would go to a 'python-dev'  group and a 'python-user'
>> group.   Long debates about language features and abstract ideas would
>> appeal to the former, but not the latter.

The py-dev mailing list, and its gmane.comp.python.devel mirror, is for
concrete discussion, mostly by developers, of how to develop the current
and next release.  The current focus in on finishing 2.6 for release.

Almost nothing that has appeared here recently belongs there.  It is
much more common for people to post there usage questions that belong
here or speculative issues that could also go to python-ideas.

 >>  Certainly I fall into the
>> user category..  I'm pretty happy with python, and generally just
>> adjust to it's design and features, rather than spend lots of time on
>> whether they are 'right' or could be 'better'.  /shrug

Long rehashes of decided issues, like the name of subprocess.popen, or
the default of sum(), belong here better than anywhere else, if anywhere
;-).

> Yeah, suggestions about changing the language are much better suited
> to the more-specific Python-ideas or Python-3000 mailinglists than the
> general-purpose c.l.p

The Python-3000 mailing list, and the gmane.comp.python.python-3.devel
mirror, is the py-dev equivalent for python3-specific issues.

tjr