Can anyone suggest a good crypto package?

Fett FettManChu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 16:55:12 EDT 2008

On Sep 4, 3:09 pm, Paul Rubin <http://phr...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> Fett <FettMan... at gmail.com> writes:
> > Is there any crypto package that is actually written in python? I
> > seriously don't care how slow it is.
>
> I wrote a simple symmetric encryption function in python:
>
>  http://nightsong.com/phr/crypto/p3.py
>
> I wrote a somewhat fancier package that did public key a while back,
> that is unreleased because of insufficient testing and some features
> I'd like to have done differently, but I ought to get around to
> cleaning it up sometime.
>
> There is also tlslite, which you might be able to extract
> some public key functions from:  http://trevp.net/tlslite

Wow, I have no idea how that works, but I think it will do nicely. The
main goal is simply to ensure that data coming in (from a website), is
valid (ie. posted by me). The site is supposedly secure, and the code
only accepts data of the type I expect, so the only security risk was
someone posting bad data. This simple method should stop anyone from
bothering to do even that.

Kudos for writing the code in a way that I can see how it is used,
even without documentation this is small enough to dissect.

Thank you, I think we have a winner. (BTW, I have no idea how this
whole encrypting gives many strings, decrypting all gives the correct
one works, but it sure seems to work just fine, more fully featured
than I even felt I needed.)