Inquiry regarding the name of subprocess.Popen class

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Wed Sep 3 02:23:23 EDT 2008

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 01:23:47 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 12:20:18AM -0400, Miles wrote:
>> The subprocess module is also supposed to replace os.system and
>> os.spawn*, neither of which involve opening pipes.
>
> Uh... it's a replacement for os.popen(), which -- guess what -- opens
> pipes.

>From the documentation:

    subprocess - Subprocesses with accessible I/O streams

    This module allows you to spawn processes, connect to their
    input/output/error pipes, and obtain their return codes.  This module
    intends to replace several other, older modules and functions, like:

    os.system
    os.spawn*
    os.popen*
    popen2.*
    commands.*

If it weren't called `Popen` but `Spawn` instead I guess you would argue
that it *must* be `Spawn` because it spawns processes and even it is not
using `spawn*()` under the hood it uses the concept of "spawn" with some
extras.  ;-)

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch