Here's something interesting: sympy crashes in Python 2.6 (Windows)

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Sun Sep 21 14:55:57 EDT 2008

On Sep 21, 4:37 am, Fredrik Lundh <fred... at pythonware.com> wrote:
> Mensanator wrote:
> > I'm not the one who wrote sympy, so I guess I'm not
> > the only one who didn't notice it.
>
> > If it's a well known problem, then sorry I wasted
> > your time.
>
> Given that 2.5 explicitly warns about this specific change:
>
>  >>> as = 1
> <stdin>:1: Warning: 'as' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6

Uh...how come _I_ don't see that?

In IDLE, I get:

Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32

IDLE 1.2
>>> as = 1
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

When inside a script, I get:

as = 1
print as

1

> it's an unknown issue only for people who has 1) never used their code
> under 2.5, or 2) never looks at the output produced by their programs.
>
> The PEP-5 process guarantees that "users will have at least a year to
> test their programs and migrate them from use of the deprecated
> construct to the alternative one," and Python 2.5 was released *two*
> years ago.
>
> So it sure looks like the SimPy folks ignored the established process.
> Why they've done that is probably a more interesting issue than the
> change itself.

Is there something wrong with my (and Sympy's) version
of Python that we don't see these warnings?