PEP Proposal

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Sep 25 16:04:54 EDT 2008

En Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:24:58 -0300, <python-pep at arcor.de> escribió:

> sorry, I have these ideas for longer than 10 years, please have a look
> on it
> and comment on it. Thx.
>
> This is another proposal for introducing types into Python.

You got the terminology wrong. Python had "types" from the very start.
You're talking about some kind of generic functions, or an alternative
dispatch method.

Read this GvR blog post [1] and his next one; also see PEP 3124 by Phillip
J. Eby, who wrote a pretty good implementation of generic functions a long
time ago.

Your proposal requires a syntax change and three new keywords; all the
others achieve roughly equivalent results without requiring any change to
the core language.

[1] http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=155123

--
Gabriel Genellina