Tkinter: scrollbar - unable to scroll the scrollbar if I click on arrow buttons of scroll bars

dudeja.rajat at gmail.com dudeja.rajat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 13:36:56 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 5:10 PM, <dudeja.rajat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 4:51 PM, <dudeja.rajat at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>

>> Im using a tkinter scrollbars for horinzontal and vertical scrolling. Well
>> the problem is I'm unable to scroll if I click on the arrows buttons of
>> scrollbars ( with both types of scrollbars)
>>

>> Please suggest if I m missing some configuration.
>>

>> My code is as below:
>>
>> self.hsb = Scrollbar(appGuiFrame, orient = HORIZONTAL)
>> self.hsb.grid(row = 2,column = 0, sticky = E+W)
>> #vertical scroll bar
>> self.vsb = Scrollbar(appGuiFrame)
>> self.vsb.grid(row = 1,column = 2, sticky = N+S)
>>

>> self.txtLogger = Text(appGuiFrame, \
>>                          height = 20,\
>>                          width = 100, \
>>                          state = DISABLED, \
>>                          xscrollcommand = self.hsb.set, \
>>                          yscrollcommand = self.vsb.set, \
>>                          wrap = NONE, \
>>                          font = ("courier",12))
>>  self.hsb.config(command = self.txtLogger.xview())
>>  self.vsb.config(command = self.txtLogger.yview())
>>

>> Please help.
>>

>> Thanks and regards,
>> Rajat
>>

> Hi folks,
>
> Any help on the above problem.
>
> Regards,
> Rajat

Hi,

The problem got solved. After finding for such a long time I got a snippet
at google and used the same in my code. It solved the problem.
Here is the complete code now:

class cLogToGUI:

    def __init__(self, logObj, appGUI):
        self.__logger = logObj
        self.__logger.debug("Inside cLogToGUI::__init__")
        appGuiFrame = appGUI.frame4

        #hor. scroll bar
        self.hsb = Scrollbar(appGuiFrame, orient = HORIZONTAL)
        self.hsb.grid(row = 2,column = 0, sticky = E+W)

        #vertical scroll bar
        self.vsb = Scrollbar(appGuiFrame)
        self.vsb.grid(row = 1,column = 2, sticky = N+S)

        self.txtLogger = Text(appGuiFrame, \
                         height = 20,\
                         width = 100, \
                         state = DISABLED, \
                         xscrollcommand = self.hsb.set, \
                         yscrollcommand = self.vsb.set, \
                         wrap = NONE, \
                         font = ("courier",12))
        #self.hsb.config(command = self.txtLogger.xview())
        #self.vsb.config(command = self.txtLogger.yview())
        self.hsb.config(command = self.__hsbScrollHandler)
        self.vsb.config(command = self.__vsbScrollHandler)

        self.txtLogger.bind("<<updateDisplay>>", self.outputText)
        self.txtLogger.grid(row = 1)

        self.txtLogger.tag_configure("error", foreground = "red")
        self.txtLogger.tag_configure("warning", foreground = "orange")
        self.txtLogger.tag_configure("success", foreground = "blue")
        self.__logger.debug("return from cLogToGUI::__init__")

    def outputText(self, event):
        self.__logger.debug("Inside cLogToGUI::outputText()")
        self.txtLogger.configure(state = NORMAL)
        string = TASymbols.strScrolledTextLine
        tag = TASymbols.strScrolledTextLineTag
        if not string:
            self.txtLogger.delete('1.0', END)
        else:
            self.txtLogger.insert(END, string, tag)
            #self.txtLogger.focus()
            self.txtLogger.see(END)
        self.txtLogger.configure(state = DISABLED)
        self.__logger.debug("return from cLogToGUI::outputText()")

    def __hsbScrollHandler(self, *L):
        op, howMany = L[0], L[1]

        if op == "scroll":
            units  =  L[2]
            self.txtLogger.xview_scroll ( howMany, units )
        elif op == "moveto":
            self.txtLogger.xview_moveto ( howMany )

    def __vsbScrollHandler(self, *L):
        op, howMany = L[0], L[1]

        if op == "scroll":
            units  =  L[2]
            self.txtLogger.yview_scroll ( howMany, units )
        elif op == "moveto":
            self.txtLogger.yview_moveto ( howMany )

Thanks and regards,
Rajat