How to Determine Name of the Day in the Week

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Sep 11 13:16:40 EDT 2008

Henry Chang wrote:

> Instead of getting integers with weekday(), Monday == 0 ... Sunday == 6;
> is there a way to get the actual names, such as "Monday ... Sunday"?  I
> would like to do this without creating a data mapping.  :)

if you have a datetime or date object, you can use strftime with the
appropriate formatting code.  see the library reference for details.

if you have the weekday number, you can use the calender module:

 >>> import calendar
 >>> calendar.day_name[0]
'Monday'

(the latter also contains abbreviated day names, month names, and a
bunch of other potentially useful functions and mappings.)

</F>