dynamic allocation file buffer

Tue Sep 9 18:58:01 EDT 2008

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 14:59:19 -0700, castironpi wrote:

> I will try my idea again.  I want to talk to people about a module I
> want to write and I will take the time to explain it.  I think it's a
> "cool idea" that a lot of people, forgiving the slang, could benefit
> from.  What are its flaws?

[snip long description with not-very-credible use-cases]

You've created a solution to a problem which (probably) only affects a
very small number of people, at least judging by your use-cases. Who has
a 4GB XML file, and how much crack did they smoke?

Castironpi, what do *you* use this proof-of-concept module for? Don't
bother tell us what you think *we* should use it for. Tell us what you're
using it for, or at least what somebody else is using it for. If this is
just a module that you think will be cool, I don't like your chances of
people caring. There is no shortage of "cool" software that isn't useful
for anything, and unlike eye-candy, nobody is going to use your module
just because they like the algorithm.

If you don't have an existing application for the software, then explain
what it does (not how) and give some idea of the performance ("it's alpha
and written in Python and really slow, but I will re-write it in C and
expect it to make a billion random accesses in a 10GB file per
millisecond", or whatever). You might be lucky and have somebody say
"Hey, that's just the tool I need to solve my problem!".

--
Steven