What do you call a class not intended to be instantiated

Sun Sep 21 18:39:47 EDT 2008

I have a class which is not intended to be instantiated. Instead of using
the class to creating an instance and then operate on it, I use the class
directly, with classmethods. Essentially, the class is used as a function
that keeps state from one call to the next.

The problem is that I don't know what to call such a thing! "Abstract
class" isn't right, because that implies that you should subclass the
class and then instantiate the subclasses.

What do you call such a class?

--
Steven