Python IDEs with F5 or hotkey shell interaction

Almar Klein almar.klein at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 04:57:23 EDT 2008

> ... <http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors>
> but few if any alternatives seem to have all of the  'interactive'
> power of IDLE—- not only a run program in a python shell hotkey but a
> persistent, after-a-run memory state can be accessed for interactive
> coding and exploration--  i.e. how IDLE works !

I felt the same. Coming from Matlab, I missed the interactive behaviour.
I found IPython with a proper editor (I really liked PyPE) a nice solution.

Still, I found it awkward having to use two programs and not having code
completion in my editor (I mean the editor not knowing what names are
present in my python session.)

Therefore, I started creating an editor with an interactive shell in it in
which
you can run (parts of) your code and have a persisten session. It's not
finished yet, but I'm quite happy with the result so far. It starts python
in a
subprocess in much the same way PyPE does. I actually "stole" code from
PyPE as a base for multiple things (thanks Josiah :) ).

Almar