Large Data Sets: Use base variables or classes? And some binding questions

Fri Sep 26 19:43:57 EDT 2008

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:54:36 -0700, Carl Banks wrote:

> However, it seems from the rest of your comments that speed is your main
> concern.  Last time someone reported __slots__ didn't make a big
> difference in access time, but it probably would speed up creating
> objects a bit.

Carl probably knows this already, but for the benefit of the Original
Poster:

__slots__ is intended as a memory optimization, not speed optimization.
If it speeds up creation, that's a serendipitous side-effect of using
less memory.

> Of course, you should profile it to make sure.

Absolutely.

Can I ask the OP how large is "large" in the Large Data Sets? What seems
large to people is often not large at all a modern computer.

--
Steven