Gateway to python-list is generating bounce messages.

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Sep 10 22:36:36 EDT 2008

On 2008-09-10, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> writes:
>
>> Could whoever is responsible for the gateway that is grabbing
>> my postings off of Usenet and e-mailing them out please fix the
>> headers in the mail messages so that I don't get the bounce
>> messages?
>
> The bounce messages are sent to you because you sent the
> original.

Wrong.  I didn't send _any_ e-mail.  Why should I get bounce
messages?

Isn't sending e-mails pretending they're from somebody else
considered unethical (if not illegal)?

>> Its a bit rude to send out mass e-mail messages with headers
>> faked up so that the bounce messages go to somebody else.
>
> Indeed it is rude, and the person subscribed to the mailing
> list whose software is sending these bounce messages is the
> one responsible for making it stop.

No, the one who's sending e-mail with forged headers is the one
who ought to make it stop.  That e-mail was not from me.  It
was from somebody who grabbed the article off a usenet server
and mailed it to a bunch of people.

> The mailing list software can't help (nor can the news-to-mail
> gateway).
>
> In the meantime, the usual fix is for the list administrator
> to unsubscribe the offending party (the one sending automated
> bounce messages).

I think the list administrator ought to stop putting other
people's e-mail addresses in the From: headers of e-mails he's
sending.

--
Grant