is decorator the right thing to use?

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 16:07:53 EDT 2008

On Sep 25, 3:36 pm, "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmi... at athabascau.ca> wrote:

> Aaron "Castironpi" Brady wrote:
> >> I kept this part of the problem out of this discussion as I'm pretty sure
> >> I can fill those in once I figure out the basic problem of
> >> auto-population of proxy methods since for each class/method those are
> >> going to be nearly identical. If I can autogenerate those on-the-fly I'm
> >> pretty sure I can add some extra-logic to them as well including
> >> signature change where A::bmethod(self,c,x) would become
> >> A::bmethod(self,x) etc.
>
> > Do you want to couple instances or classes together?
>
> It would be nice to have objects of B, C and D classes not knowing that they
> are proxied (as they are used on their own too, not only inside of A
> objects).

I'm not sure if the approach below deals with all the issues, but one
thing it does is decouple completely the proxied objects from the
proxy:

#======== usage

from proxies import Proxy

class B(object):
    def __init__(self): self.val = 'bval'
    def bmethod(self,n): print "B::bmethod",n
    def bmethod2(self,n,m): print "B::bmethod2",n,m

class C(object):
    def __init__(self): self.val = 'cval'
    def cmethod(self,x): print "C::cmethod",x
    def cmethod2(self,x,y): print "C::cmethod2",x,y
    cattr = 4

class A(Proxy):
    DelegateMap = {
        'bmethod' : B,