Here's something interesting: sympy crashes in Python 2.6 (Windows)

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Sat Sep 20 14:51:55 EDT 2008

On Sep 20, 1:34�pm, "Guilherme Polo" <ggp... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Mensanator <mensana... at aol.com> wrote:
> > Beacuse in 2.6, Python apparently has fixed a discrepency that existed
> > in previous versions.
>
> > In the IDLE that comes with 2.5, typing "as", to wit "import random as
> > ran",
> > the words "import" and "as" highlight in red, so you can't use them as
> > variable
> > names or you'll get a syntax error.
>
> > Ah, but you CAN use "as" for a variable: "for as in xrange(10): print
> > as"
> > works just fine, although it shouldn't.
>
> > Python 2.6 fixes this discrepency and now gives you a syntax error if
> > you
> > use "as" for a variable name.
>
> You should have noticed the warning you received in python 2.5 when
> using "as" as a name.

I'm not the one who wrote sympy, so I guess I'm not
the only one who didn't notice it.

If it's a well known problem, then sorry I wasted
your time.

The sympy people thought it was important and,
as not everyone uses sympy, I thought I was
performing a service to the community mentioning
it here.

Sheesh.