creating an (inefficent) alternating regular expression from a list of options

metaperl.com metaperl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 09:12:19 EDT 2008

Pyparsing has a really nice feature that I want in PLY. I want to
specify a list of strings and have them converted to a regular
expression.

A Perl module which does an aggressively optimizing job of this is
Regexp::List -
http://search.cpan.org/~dankogai/Regexp-Optimizer-0.15/lib/Regexp/List.pm

I really dont care if the expression is optimal. So the goal is
something like:

vowel_regexp = oneOf("a aa i ii u uu".split())  # yielding r'(aa|a|uu|
u|ii|i)'

Is there a public module available for this purpose?