Read and write binary data

Kurt Smith kwmsmith at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 13:10:41 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Mars creature <jinbow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>  I am new to Python, and thinking about migrating to it from matlab
> as it is a really cool language. Right now, I am trying to figure out

If you're trying to migrate from matlab to python I'd take a look at numpy:

http://numpy.scipy.org/

And scipy which is built on top of numpy:

http://www.scipy.org/

There is a plotting/numerical computation package known as matplotlib
that does its best to parallel matlab commands:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

There is support for reading and writing binary data, even fortran records.

And last but not least, you can always take a look at the scipy and
numpy mailing lists.

Good luck,

Kurt