ElementTree oddities

Brian Cole coleb2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 11:22:29 EDT 2008

I'm trying to extract the text from some xml. I figured this
convenient python two-liner would do it for me:
>>> from xml.etree.ElementTree import *
>>> from cStringIO import StringIO
>>> root = parse(StringIO(xml)).getroot()
>>> ' '.join([n.text for n in root.getiterator() if n.text is not None])

However, it's missing some of the text. For example, the following
XML:

Returns me a empty string. Seems the "<sp />" tag is borking it.

Also, the for the following XML:

I only get "Bar". It's missing the trailing colon.

I'm not that experienced with XML so perhaps I am just missing
something here. Please enlighten me.

Thanks,
Brian