Adding environment variables to bash.

nntpman68 news1234 at free.fr
Thu Sep 11 16:25:22 EDT 2008

>> doesn't exactly work for Python scripts, though:
>>
>> $ cat env.py
>> #!/usr/bin/env python
>> import os
>> os.environ["TEST"] = "hello"
>>
>> $ . ./env.py && env | grep TEST
>> import: unable to open X server `'.
>> bash: os.environ[TEST]: command not found
>>
>> </F>

There's two options for the desperate ones.

1. Assuming the python script doesn't want to print anything useful

the python script just prints the exoprt commands and is
being called via backticks from a shell code snipped being sourced with .

#-------- mypythonfile.py ------------------------
#!/usr/bin/env python
value = myfavourite_python_function()
print 'export ENV_VAR="%s"' ^ value
#--------------- end of file --------------

#----------------- my_wrapper_file.sh ------------------
`./mypythonfile.py`
# file end

and then you call
. ./my_wrapper_file.sh

2._ Pytho script wants to display something and set a variable

a file being invoked with . calls the python script (which will create a
small file with variables to be set).
then this created file is being sourced

#!/usr/bin/env python
value = myfavourite_python_function()
file('my_export_commands.sh','w').write('export ENV_VAR="%s"\n' % value)

./mypythonfile.py
. ./my_export_commands.sh
# file end

bye