Configuring pyc directory

Robert Moore rmoore787 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 18:06:25 EDT 2008

Is there a way to configure python to read/write compiled pyc files for
modules in a directory other than the directory containing the original py
files?

I'm trying trying to secure an Apache server running mod_python and don't
want the process compiling the pyc files to have write access to the folder
containing my site's py modules.  I realize the solution (if it exists) may
lie with mod_python rather than python itself, so I've also pinged the
mod_python mailing list for help.  I'm checking here as well, though, just
in case there's some solution built into python.

Thanks,
Robert