Which version

Eric Wertman ewertman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 13:28:09 EDT 2008

> I'm a reasonably experienced in other languages and have just decided to
> get my feet wet with Python. But I'm using FC6 which has v2.4.4 installed,
> is this good enough to start out with or am I likely to encounter bugs that
> have been fixed in later versions.

I'm sure there will be other opinions.  I try to use the stock distro
version whenever possible, just because it makes administration easier
and you have some reasonable guess as to where your code will work if
you move it.  I use 2.4 regularly, and haven't come across many things
that the 2.5 series would make behave differently.  The subprocess
module is one though, and I recall a few datetime routines that were
2.5 only that I wished I could use.

If you aren't married to you linux distro, you might switch to
ubuntu... I believe they package the 2.5 series.  IMO it's not wrong
to compile a new one alongside the stock installation, but you could
run into potentially confusing issues later about which one exactly
you are using, installing modules for, etc.  Easy to avoid if you know
what you are doing, but a potential pitfall for a beginner.

Eric